Friday, October 14, 2005

Friday's 10

My computer randomly spits out tunes - I enthrall you with the results.

NOTE: it should be mentioned I have had my head firmly up the ass of the 60s lately.

1. Depeche Mode - Macro
Someone sent me the new DM album and, as I've always enjoyed them, was very interested in how it sounded. Well, it's like bad demos from "Exciter" that were rejected...and those are the good songs. This song is fucking horrific, mainly lyrically. To be fair, there is the niggling fact that I am 100% sober right now. 2/10

2. The Smiths - What's the World (James cover)
I like James quite a bit, but this live cover of one of their songs is completely bettered by The Smiths. Recorded on the Meat is Murder tour, when James was the support band. 8/10

3. Neil Diamond - A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You
Written for and a hit by The Monkees, this is a lesser-known version. I like this one better cos of the vocal delivery. Neil Diamond is a freakin' PIMP. 8/10

4. Earth, Wind & Fire - Got To Get You Into My Life
There are only a couple of Beatles covers that are better than the original: Stevie Wonder's "We Can Work It Out" being the best, this being a close second. Missing that phone call years ago that would have led to me being backstage at an E,W, & F show is still the bane of my existence. 9/10

5. INXS - What You Need
I used to love this song in junior high, so I ripped it from the greatest hits cd for a trip down nostalgia lane. It didn't age very well, though that sax build in the bridge parts is still cool. There are much better songs by them than this. 3/10

6. Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces
I don't care who you are, how old you are, or where you came from - if this don't make you shake what yo mama gave you, then you are either deaf, dead, or Republican. This song always makes me want to hear Bobby Caldwell's "What You Won't Do For Love" or Boz Scaggs' "Lowdown". 10/10

7. Clarence Carter - Strokin'
The perpetual teenager in me will always laugh, and the adult in me will always bow in reverence at the ability to get away with lines like "You know what she told me? / This is what she told me / She said "Stroke it, Clarence Carter / But please don't stroke so fast / If my stuff ain't tight enough / You can stick it up my..." WOOOO! / I be STROKIN'!!!!" Genius. 7/10

8. The Beatles - Piggies
I love The Beatles. LOVE 'em. I hate this song. 1/10

9. Cranebuilders - Just Idleness
A Liverpool band, Cranebuilders don't sound overtly like any particular band, which is probably why this song sticks with me so much. Not groundbreaking, just an excellent pop song. The vocal delivery on the lines "And there's nothing you can do / To make it alright / No, there's nothing you can say / To make it alright" is nothing short of sublime. 8/10

10. Oasis - Lyla
God DAMN! Where's mah whiskey?! This makes me wanna get drunk, smoke, put my arms around my mates' shoulders and sing along at full volume. I'm very glad to see them getting back in such fine form. The video for "The Importance of Being Idle" is quite brilliant as well. And I will state for the record that Liam Gallagher (no matter your feelings for him) is the best rock singer around in years. 8.5/10

Now where's the flask - it's 5p somewhere....

UPDATE: Other Friday 10s:
Gavin discusses his fingernail filing habits here.
teh l4m3 gets Morningwood here.
Norbizness dodges the T'Pau bullet here.
Fulsome avoids Kent, thereby pissing me off, here.

1 Comments:

At 10/14/2005 9:00 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Poor DM. Part of the problem is that Mr. Gahan is just too damn old for this sort of shit anymore...And thnx for the graciousness -- wasn't expecting that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home