Tuesday, October 11, 2005

10 For The Drunks

Seemingly being the only person in California who doesn't own an iPod, I have put H.A.L. 9000 (my computer) in Apple drag and am randomly playing my hard drive - here's the random 10 for the drunks like me unable to choose what to listen to.

1. Frazier Chorus - Sloppy Heart ("Sue" LP version)
They're just wonderful, they are. Incredibly English - their debut LP "Sue", from which this is taken (though not as good as the 4ad EP version), is almost a trip across the countryside. There is nothing in their discography that isn't utterly fantastic. Best lyrics around, coming after The Smiths broke up. The follow-up album "Ray" is almost as good - some songs lack, but some completely surpass.

2. Lee Hazelwood - Little Miss Sunshine (Little Miss Rain)
Not my fave off of this album (that would have to be "If It's Monday Morning"), but an enjoyable pop song nonetheless, and one that fits perfectly in the framework of the album "Requiem for an Almost Lady" as a whole. Perfect example of simplicity giving the song room to breathe and just be.

3. Duran Duran - Girls on Film
This was the band I could present to my parents, while burying "weirdos" like Robert Smith, Soft Cell, and Depeche Mode in my collection. EVERYONE I knew liked or admired them; even the heavy metal guys at school would rave about how talented a bassist John Taylor was (laugh as you may, bitches - go put on the "Rio" album and shut the fuck up).

4. The La's - Knock Me Down
Good lord, if there was ever a band worth the legend then it's The La's. This song is fucking tough - barely any distortion, harmonies, a staggered beat, and it cuts a bigger swagger than you'd ever dreamed. There are lessons to be learned here.

5. Voice Farm - Seeing is Believing
The first time I saw Voice Farm, it was opening for Depeche Mode on the "Music for the Masses" tour. This song stuck out so much I could sing it the next day. The next time I saw them, my band was opening for them at the Berkeley Square (RIP) with me playing keyboards in a skirt and combat boots...ahhh, them were the days...

6. Magic Carpet - The Magic Carpet
Now THIS is some trippy shit I came across by total accident. An obscure vinyl record that trades for over $1,000 a pop (I have a download of it), it's a synthesis of Indian raga music and folk. This track is a total raga, where the rest is more collaborative. Great for fans of Eastern music.

7. Christopher Recordings - Girls and Menstruation
I stumbled across this 4-recording set also by accident - 50's sex ed albums that teach parents how to tell their kids about sex, including God's plan for us all. Using the fictitious O'Brien family...oh hell, once was enough - I'm skipping this shit.

8. Clan of Xymox - Louise
The goth in me loves this; the synth guy in me loves this; the guitarist in me loves this. I think I love this. Back in the day, we had 18-and-under dance clubs and the more astute DJ's would mix this and "Blue Monday", as the prominent bass drum lines would overlap in the coolest ways. Sisters of Mercy vocals, and that works well for them. The structure is brilliant as is the ending chord sequence. Only bettered by "Evelyn".

9. Pink Floyd - One of These Days
This is the kind of thing Floyd does best - just build and build and build and build and build. One of the few bands that really transcend barriers and carve out their own space, I appreciate it most when they are tapping into their more psychedelic roots (my fave material is, naturally, the Syd Barrett stuff and next few albums, though "Comfortably Numb" is my fave Floyd song).

10. Hope Chest - Three
CRAP - my own band. No fair, but brilliant nonetheless. Gotta do another.

11. Shack - Dragonfly
A Liverpool band that has never gotten their due, this is a rare band in that you can't make a bad choice in picking an album to introduce yourself with. One time band for the comeback of Arthur Lee and Love, the Head brothers produce some of the best pop music around. The heroin never seemed to hurt 'em either (see side project album "The Magical World of The Strands").

All in all not bad - only 2 songs I needed to forward through. That deserves a refill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home