Friday, October 28, 2005

Friday 10


We miss you, George.

1. Bowery Electric - Freedom Fighter. I felt they really started hitting their stride with this album. It's a shame that they've done nothing since. This song is TUFF.

2. 808 State - Pacific 202. There are something like 4,196 versions of this song. I love them all. I will never forgive that ex-girlfriend for passing out at the DV8 so many years ago, robbing me of my chance to see Bjork sing with them.

3. The Beatles - Martha My Dear. For some reason, I've been listening to "The Beatles" (White Album) a lot recently; probably the diversity. This record side is my fave. If I'm not mistaken, Paul wrote this about his dog. Take a good look around you...

4. October Country - My Girlfriend Is A Witch. What a weird song. From the late 60s, I know nothing about this band or song but I have the distinct feeling they didn't do very much.

5. Hurricane Smith - Don't Let It Die. This guy has the WEIRDEST voice, and for some reason it makes me like the song even more. He apparently produced Pink Floyd and others, but you should really seek out some of his utterly charming material.

6. Frazier Chorus - Forgetful. This is off of the "Sue" album and is one of the most literate "Fuck You"'s that I've EVER heard. Check this: "I just saw your friend and he asked me when your birthday was...and I told him lies. He seemed so happy when he walked away, and I smiled for you and your big surprise." Uh huh, that sound you hear is the chorus of 1,000 voices saying "DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!"

7. Neil Diamond - Sit Back and Relax (Coke advert). Neil Diamond is so fucking cool, even his jingles for Coke rock. Total Monkees-era Diamond, so it's bouncy pop goodness to the max. I want to be Neil Diamond when I grow up.

8. Morrissey - The Last of the Famous International Playboys. Say what you want, but I love Moz and this is one of his strongest. Even Johnny Marr broke his post-Smiths silence with Morrissey to send him a congratulatory postcard when this song came out. I want a shirt that says this.

9. Air - Cherry Blossom Girl. I'm SO GLAD this album is better than that last sucky one. I was afraid they were a one trick pony, but they've returned to fine form. Love the acoustic guitar with the electronics. (PSST - the first album is still the best...)

10. Pizzicato 5 - Snowflakes. We end with a mellow one. Not an intensely great song - definitely not their best - but a nice, wistful pop song nonetheless. She only sings one word, too, which is very cool in my book (guess which one!).

Have a great weekend, pumpkinheads!

4 Comments:

At 10/31/2005 4:01 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

"I will never forgive that ex-girlfriend for passing out at the DV8 so many years ago, robbing me of my chance to see Bjork sing with them."

Oh so fucking many years ago. Bitch, you are old. That was right around the time I was still way too fucking young to even think of sneaking into Palladium or 330 Ritch...But I could still get into 924 Gilman.

 
At 11/01/2005 7:48 AM, Blogger fatrobot said...

i love that morissey song

 
At 11/07/2005 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the woop woop part of LotFIP - that little bleep part- that is the best part. THE BEST

 
At 7/25/2006 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my britney spears site.
Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home