Friday, October 21, 2005

Friday 10

This weekend I'm DJing a 70s/80s party for a youth group (quit yer fucking snickering). In honor of the time period in question, I am listing 10 of my fave tunes that I will be spinning:

1. SOS Band - Take Your Time (Do It Right)
I distinctly remember taping this song off of KFRC back in the day. Truly fantastic to dance to and all about doin' the nasty...and I like doin' the nasty.

2. Ohio Players - Skintight
They had the album covers your parents didn't want you asking questions about. A true highlight in my life is when my band at the time opened for them at the long-closed Omni in Oakland. Those dudes got DOWN.

3. New Order - Blue Monday
For years the biggest selling 12" single ever (not sure if it still is - could be), this is just pure, unadulterated dancefloor goodness, with one of the most recognisable intros ever. Taste the 80s.

4. Mary Jane Girls - In My House
You just KNEW that only 1 or 2 of these girls could actually sing, but it didn't matter at all cos they were Rick James' girls. On top of it, this song was SO bomb - great harmonies and killer funk keys. This, I believe, was played at every family party.

5. The Time - Jungle Love
Morris Day, Jerome, Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, Jesse Johnson, Jellybean Benitez...FUCK. What a lineup. They brought the funk, psychedelia, pop, and soul, all rolled into one. The first thing I ever won was a copy of "Ice Cream Castles" off of KMEL.

6. Led Zeppelin - Dancing Days
One for the white kids! Seriously though, when you're drunk and playing a bunch of dance tunes, this one sounds astonishingly good in the mix. About as groovy as the Zep got.

7. The Bee Gees - Night Fever
I've always dug the subdued sound of this song. A great string arrangement makes it happen. Sure they sound like muppets, but I always liked the muppets. The rhythm is in the pocket - a total avenue walker.

8. Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way
Oh SHIT. This bitch just SLAYS this song. The Communards did a respectable version in the 80s, but this is the all-time, can't-fuck-with-it original classic - I don't care that Harold Melvin did it first, cos he didn't do it anywhere near as good. I would buy this woman dinner in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even ask her if she was hungry.

9. The Gap Band - Burn Rubber
This song was so freakin' cool when I was a kid. Indeed, the whole concept of burning rubber was. Therefore The Gap Band was cool. As a Mexican, there was no avoiding The Gap Band - EVERYONE listened to them. The only thing that I can talk shit about is the fact that EVERY SINGLE ONE of their songs have the same drum fill! Plak-doom-plak-doom-plak-doom-plak!

10. Tainted Love / Where Did Our Love Go? - Soft Cell
My first favorite band that wasn't my parents' music. There isn't a soul with ears that hasn't heard this song. The original by Gloria Jones is fantastic too. I still remember the first time I heard it like it was yesterday; probably the song that had the biggest effect on my life. There is a place in heaven reserved for Marc Almond and Dave Ball.

Have a great weekend, bitches!

7 Comments:

At 10/21/2005 1:18 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Hahaha...I just pictured you in a white el camino with a red leather interior -- because I'm a racist!

The Gap Band indeed.

Bitch, you are old.

 
At 10/21/2005 1:29 PM, Blogger pop renaissance said...

that WOULD be racist...if my uncle joe didn't own that exact el camino. it was red with red interior, though.

"Bitch, you are old."

i am laughing so hard at that i have no response.

 
At 10/21/2005 9:06 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Mwah, papi!

 
At 10/22/2005 8:41 AM, Blogger pop renaissance said...

that would be the dazz band "let it whip", which is also in my playlist.

i live in el cerrito. i am as centrally located as they come.

 
At 10/22/2005 8:43 AM, Blogger pop renaissance said...

and i am more than willing to host and cook (cookin's mah thang).

 
At 10/26/2005 11:12 AM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Oh, no! I've recently moved up to Northern Sac. Valley, to be closer to my addled 'rents, and be more available when they need me.

But I'll be in the 'sco first weekend of next month...

 
At 10/26/2005 2:00 PM, Blogger pop renaissance said...

sac?! you have my sympathies. i lived there for 3 years - it was the best 6 months of my life.

drop a brotha a line close to the date and we'll make shit happen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home