Friday, April 07, 2006

If You Have 5 Seconds To Spare...

...I'd like to expand upon my feelings about the post below and the importance of those remembered below. The links are to pages where you can download the songs I am reminiscing about. I'll update the links as I have more of them available.

While
I grew up listening to Gene Pitney on the radio, it was the classic "Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart", his duet with Marc Almond that made me love him so much. An iconic singer/songwriter paired with the only vocalist I love as much as Morrissey, singing some of the most romantic lyrics ever to an amazing score by a big band (in the classic sense)...let's just say that there were MANY wistful minutes spent staring out of windows, daydreaming.

Everyone who watched The Partridge Family basically knew The Cowsills - it was based on them. They would've actually been on the show themselves but producers decided on actors who were musicians.
They had their hits, but the song that has always been my favorite is "The Mystery of Life", a brooding song that resonated with me far more than it should have at such an early age (kinda like my obsession with "In My Room" by The Beach Boys when I was 6). When I heard about the flood and the worried family, the lyrics to it immediately sprung to mind and the tears came. Now, with the way history has been written with Barry and Billy, the tears fall even more readily.

Gilks was the drummer for The Wonder Stuff, an amazing, acerbic Brum pop band. It always seemed like pop gems just flowed from them like water from melting snow. They were one of those bands you'd listen to after a break up and say "yep - that's exactly what I'm going through". Can't Shape Up, indeed...

10 Comments:

At 4/07/2006 8:43 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

I... sniff... i think i need a kleenex. (for my tears, you cheeky monkeys))

 
At 4/07/2006 10:17 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

I knew you were a Marc Almond fan, even though I've never read or heard you mention him before. I KNEW IT!!!!!1! I am teh psychic.

PS. Did you get my e-mail? I said BOX 613, right? Not BOX 615... BOX 613!

The fox has landed. The boxwoods hum in the moonlight. HOW NOW BROWN COW???

 
At 4/09/2006 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teh is talking code here. I just know it.

 
At 4/10/2006 11:20 AM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

ag is sharp. sharp like a puttermesser.

 
At 4/10/2006 1:40 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

"Pictures of matchstick men/
and you..."

because CVB misses snickerdoodle too...

 
At 4/10/2006 3:19 PM, Blogger pop renaissance said...

it's funny: i HATE quirky pop music (i.e. they might be giants, b-52s, cake) but i love camper van beethoven. great live band. i liked lowery's other band cracker quite a bit, as well.

interesting how you knew i was a marc almond fan, teh. are you?

 
At 4/11/2006 3:19 PM, Blogger Smartypants said...

Hey, sweetie. What's shakin'?

 
At 4/11/2006 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was more than 5 seconds.

 
At 4/12/2006 7:44 AM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

"i HATE quirky pop music (i.e. they might be giants, b-52s, cake) but i love camper van beethoven."

Almost exactly the same here, but I do have a soft spot for the B-52s, if only because I loved some of their more commercial stuff as a child...

"...interesting how you knew i was a marc almond fan, teh. are you?"

HEL-LO-OOOH, I am gay.

 
At 4/12/2006 2:37 PM, Blogger pop renaissance said...

"HEL-LO-OOOH, I am gay."

yep, that was a pretty fucking stoopid question. marc almond is GOD. i love him so fucking much. soft cell is one of my fave bands ever and his solo stuff is just HEAVEN.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home